A mysterious greasy substance has been found on hundreds of seabirds — some dead, others injured — that have been washing up along England’s south coast.
The birds, mostly guillemots, have been discovered along beaches from Weymouth to Torquay covered in the waxy film; many have very sore legs, according to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, which has been rescuing the slime-coated creatures.
Environmental officials with the U.K.’s Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA), who are investigating the case, still don’t know where the greasy substance came from, but they believe it is a “refined mineral-based oil mixture.”
“Initial analysis indicates that the contaminant is a refined mineral oil and further analysis results are awaited,” Stan Woznicki, the MCA’s head of counterpollution, said in a statement Friday. [In Photos: Major Oil Disasters at Sea]
“We have not received any specific reports of pollution within the English Channel area, but today we sent one of our counter pollution surveillance aircraft to investigate,” Woznicki added. “It covered the sea areas between Dover and the Isles of Scilly, but no pollution was detected.”
MCA officials said the initial findings indicate that the substance is not palm oil, as had been suggested by at least one scientist. Simon Boxall, of the UK’s National Oceanography Centre, Southampton, had issued a statement saying he suspected palm oil may have been accidentally spilled or illegally dumped from a cargo ship crossing the English Channel. In any case, Boxall said that finding the source of the spill likely will be difficult.
Read More: Here
- How Witches’ Brews Helped Bring Modern Drugs to Market
- Puma Punku – Built With Needle-Fine Precision 17,000 Years Ago?
- The Ebola Story Doesn’t Smell Right
- How Tripping On Mushrooms Changes The Brain
- The Strange History of the Ouija Board
- Jeff Rense – America…To Hell In A Hand Basket
- Deepak Chopra – How Do We Know What Reality Is?
- You’re Powered by Quantum Mechanics
- Is This The World’s Oldest Secret Code?
- Tales From The Morph VII
- Soft and Powerless?
- Australia Shuts Borders To Ebola-Affected Countries