US Fifth Fleet Receives Distress Calls From 2 Tankers in Gulf of Oman After Reported Attack
Reports about the incident emerged in Middle Eastern media a month after an attack on four vessels off the Emirati coast, which UAE investigators blamed on an unspecified “state actor”.
The US Navy’s 5th Fleet said on Thursday that it was assisting two oil tankers targeted in a “reported attack” in the Gulf of Oman, after the vessels sent disstress calls.
It was not immediately clear who attacked the vessels, one of which has been identified as the MT Front Altair, a crude oil tanker carrying the flag of the Marshall Islands. Brent crude climbed 3 per cent in the wake of the reports.
According to shipping newspaper Tradewinds, an oil tanker owned by a Norwegian tanker operator had been “torpedoed” off the coast of Fujairah in the Gulf of Oman.
Iran’s state-run Press TV said that two successive blasts affected two oil tankers on Thursday morning in what it described as “attacks”.
Reuters says, citing four sources in shipping and trade, that two tankers have been evacuated in the Gulf and that the crew are safe.
Meanwhile, the UK Maritime Trade Operations, a maritime safety group run by the Royal Navy, has warned about an unspecified incident in the Gulf of Oman between the Emirate of Fujairah and Iran’s coast. The group urged “extreme caution”, given the ongoing tensions in the region between the United States and Iran, and said that an investigation is underway.
Buckle up people…..