Is an Acai Berry Cleanse Good for You?

May 27, 2017

Are you concerned about the buildup of toxins in your system from the chemicals you’re exposed to on a regular basis? Then you may have heard of the potential benefits of doing an acai berry cleanse.

Detoxes and cleanses are tricky subjects, so make sure you are very informed before beginning this kind of regimen, including a consult with your doctor. And don’t be fooled by all the hype — yes, the acai berry is an excellent whole food, but there is no magic ingredient in it that equates to immediate and unheard-of weight loss.

However, there are benefits to introducing acai berries into your diet, too. Let’s talk about the facts: the real benefits, the potential drawbacks and the how-to of an acai berry cleanse.

Is an Acai Berry Cleanse Good for You or Bad for You?

Spend any time at all searching for ways to lose weight fast, and you’re bound to find information about so-called “cleanses” and “detoxes.” You’ve got to admit — it’s an intriguing option. Take a pill or down a glass of something that probably tastes gross, and just watch the fat drain off your body!

While it’s an exciting notion and there’s truly a great benefit to be found by ridding your body of toxins and heavy metals, the quick-fix detoxes you see online are often nothing more than scams that have laxative effects on your system. Sure, you might reduce bloating temporarily and notice a change in your, ahem, bathroom habits, but no food or cleanse product actually forces your body to burn fat any more than another.

Much of the information regarding acai berry cleanse products refers to claims that it “jump-starts” a weight loss program by detoxifying the body and therefore is recommended to people who are changing their diets as a way to “start fresh.” There are also claims of weight loss up to 450 percent higher than by diet and exercise alone, none of which are backed by any scientific evidence.

One statistic stated that about 63 percent of the reviews on acai berry cleanse supplements were positive, with the remaining 37 percent filled with notes of frustration and little to no results. While these are pieces of anecdotal evidence and cannot be relied upon as factual or scientific, it’s at least interesting to note that a majority of people trying acai berry cleanse products experience at least some perceived benefit.

The truth about detoxing or cleansing is that your body naturally detoxifies itself regularly if you feed it with whole, real foods. But more on that in a moment.

First, I’ll just say that, based on the fact that most acai berry cleanse products are not regulated in any way (meaning they can claim anything they want without fear of consequence) and that there is no science backing their efficacy, I would not recommend trying them. Acai berries are, indeed, filled with incredibly powerful antioxidants and have several health benefits in and of themselves, but the “cleanse” products using acai sometimes contain as little as 5 percent actual acai berry.

Losing weight can be a complex issue for some people, but the No. 1 way to start is by eliminating processed foods from your diet and replacing them with whole, life-giving foods as part of a balanced and calorically moderate lifestyle. Adding physical fitness helps your body maintain peak function and encourages more weight loss. However, anything that guarantees swift and effortless weight loss is simply false advertising.

How Can I Detox My Body and Benefit From an Acai Berry Cleanse?

While it may sound like I’m completely anti-detoxing, that’s not true. I want to make sure that when you choose to detoxify and cleanse your colon, you do it in a way that’s healthy and proven to be effective. It can definitely be necessary for certain people — constipation, bloating, gas and headaches are just a few symptoms of toxic overload that can be treated by a healthy cleanse.

The absolute best way to detox is known as the Daniel fast. Daniel, a character in the Bible, requested a diet of only water and vegetables when training alongside King Nebuchadnezzar’s army because the foods the other soldiers ate went against Jewish dietary customs. The story goes that Daniel and his three friends looked healthier at the end of 10 days on this diet than the rest of the soldiers fed meat and wines from the king’s table.

Today, people participate in Daniel fasts for a number of reasons, including physical, emotional and spiritual well-being. One of the best physical results of a Daniel fast is an overall detox of your digestive system.

Because Daniel fasts include only fruits, vegetables, pure fruit and vegetable juices, and water, acai berries are an incredibly welcome addition to this diet. Along with other wholesome foods, acai offers you a huge load of antioxidants and other nutrients, including fiber, that work to clean out your system

Read More

0 comment